Thank you for your interest in joining the Allston Brighton CDC team. Check out our open job opportunities below.
Housing Projects Manager
Allston Brighton Community Development Corporation (Allston Brighton CDC) seeks a Housing Projects Manager.
The Organization and Its Programs
The Allston Brighton CDC has been a catalyst for community stability and cohesion for nearly 40 years. The organization has worked toward building a strong and stable community by representing and supporting the expressed interests, positive engagement, and leadership of Allston Brighton’s diverse local communities, institutions, individuals, and families of all incomes. Allston Brighton CDC seeks to empower individuals and groups of people by providing them with the skills they need to affect change in their own communities and connecting them to broader neighborhood stabilizations efforts and campaigns.
Allston Brighton CDC creates affordable and stabilized homes. It fosters community leadership and enhances and protects open spaces. It provides residents with opportunities to increase incomes and assets, so that residents can call Alston Brighton home for the long-term. The CDC oversees a portfolio of 506 affordable housing units in nine sites throughout Allston Brighton.
Today, Allston Brighton CDC continues to focus on expanding stable housing in a neighborhood of high rents and limited affordable homeownership. It addresses critical changes within the community and focuses on its role as a catalyst for community stability with an eye toward creating opportunities for families and individuals of all income levels.
Current and Expected Real Estate Development Activities at the Allston Brighton CDC
The Housing Projects Manager will be addressing both small and large-scale projects ranging from condominiums to developments that include hundreds of apartments. The following summary represents the currently anticipated key activities that will be addressed by the Housing Projects Manager:
- The Allston Brighton CDC has recently initiated a series of activities aimed at preserving and enhancing the financial stability of its real estate portfolio. This effort will be continuing and will require some restructuring of a complex set of financing packages originally secured to make the affordable housing projects possible. A portion of these financial activities will result in the initiation of capital improvement activities to select properties.
- The Allston Brighton CDC is also administering an innovative initiative in cooperation with the City of Boston and Harvard University that seeks to add stability to the housing market within North Allston by promoting owner-occupancy homeownership involving condominiums, single, two, and three-family properties. This activity requires the direct involvement of the Allston Brighton CDC with the identification of appropriate properties, the oversight and responsibility associated with multiple real estate transactions, and the administration of minor property renovations.
- The Allston Brighton CDC is continuing to seek opportunities to expand its portfolio of housing to help it better serve the diverse housing needs of the residents of the Allston Brighton neighborhoods. These efforts include the potential creation of additional homeownership and multi-family rental housing either through direct development efforts or in partnership with other appropriate development entities.
Housing Projects Manager
The Housing Projects Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, other Allston Brighton CDC staff, along with selected consultants to stabilize the existing portfolio and foster new ventures, together with key stakeholders, institutional partners, and private/non-profit developers. Responsibilities will include:
- Assist and monitor the third-party asset management activities associated with the current portfolio;
- Project management activities associated with the administration of capital improvement projects planned within the existing portfolio;
- Serving as the coordinator for anticipated financial restructuring of Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) Projects as the properties reach the end of their compliance period;
- Assembling applications for financing and grants, equity, and loan programs;
- Soliciting, negotiating, and overseeing third party consultant services and project teams;
- Seeking new real estate opportunities and conducting early stage feasibility analysis;
- Working with selected design teams to ensure compliance of new project activity with all applicable zoning and regulatory requirements;
- Managing the closings for real estate transactions as well as loans, and equity investments associated with the AllBright Homes Program;
- Overseeing project budgets, the construction process, the requisition process, and reporting requirements;
- Ensuring compliance with funding requirements and city, state, and federal regulations for current portfolio and any new development activity;
- Working closely with development consultants to implement the real estate component of the Allston Brighton CDC Strategic Plan.
Our Ideal Candidate
Allston Brighton CDC is seeking an affordable housing professional with at least three years of previous relevant experience, who is creative, mission driven, and can positively engage in a diverse community. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the real estate development process, able to conduct feasibility analysis, have a working knowledge of a wide host of affordable housing financing tools including an understanding of LIHTC, City of Boston, State and Federal housing loan programs, as well as State and Federal Rental Subsidy programs. The candidate will bring enthusiasm and dedication to their work and possess many of the following skills and qualifications:
- BA/BS in real estate development, city planning, or related field, master’s degree in a related field a plus;
- Two (2) to four (4) years of direct experience successfully managing residential real estate development;
- Demonstrated understanding of feasibility analysis;
- Demonstrated understanding of the financing tools and regulatory requirements for affordable housing, including rental assistance, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and other State and Federal funding programs;
- Direct experience in completing public and private funding applications including the Massachusetts One-Stop application;
- Familiarity with property management and asset management functions and systems;
- Experience in working with consultants, design teams, and other real estate professionals;
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills;
- Strong communication skills including writing and presentation ability;
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Excel and programs designed to create presentation materials;
- Flexibility to adapt, respond, and meet the needs of specific projects and the needs of the Allston Brighton CDC;
- Conversational knowledge of Spanish, Chinese, or Russian is a plus
The Application Process Please submit a resume and a cover letter documenting experience and interest in this position to: John Woods, Executive Director, Allston Brighton CDC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received. Allston Brighton CDC seeks to fill this position by mid- September 2018 if not sooner.
Allston Brighton CDC offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications, plus generous benefits.
Allston Brighton CDC is an equal opportunity. People of color and Allston Brighton residents are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Resident Services Specialist
Allston Brighton Community Development Corporation (Allston Brighton CDC) seeks a Resident Services Specialist.
Allston Brighton CDC builds a stronger and more stable community by representing and supporting the expressed interests, positive engagement and leadership of Allston Brighton’s diverse local communities, institutions, individuals and families of all incomes. Today Allston Brighton CDC’s Community Investment Plan addresses critical changes in our community, focuses our role as a catalyst for stability and positions us to create healthy communities, and new opportunities for people of all incomes to engage as civic leaders and improve their lives. We are dedicated to supporting neighborhood growth that retains a diverse socio-economic population, becoming more stable with stakeholders who actively participate in ensuring its well-being. We are expanding resident participation in civic engagement around safe, healthy communities. In collaboration with our community we engage with institutional and government partners to address community-identified and community-driven needs and goals.
Allston Brighton CDC owns 506 affordable rental units in the Allston Brighton neighborhood, offering direct service support through our Resident Service program. We assist tenants in accessing resources that help them accomplish economic self-sufficiency and to become fully engaged in their community. The All Bright Community Center functions as a hub for services and as a safe haven for all households served. Through partnerships with community agencies, services and programs are available on site, removing barriers that impact residents’ ability to access much-needed resources.
The Resident Services Specialist supports the Resident Services Manager to execute programming, including but not limited to program coordination, resident recruitment and resident engagement. This position provides central support in achieving key objectives and goals for Resident Services. The Specialist provides support related to the planning and execution of events, maintenance of resident demographic data, resident intake and referrals, and the development and distribution of relevant program literature.
The Resident Services Specialist reports directly to the Resident Services Manager.
All Bright Community Center:
- Coordinate the schedule of programs at the Center
- Coordinate use of the community space
- Provide onsite support for residents and their families
- Provide onsite support for community partners
- Open and/or close the Center as necessary
- Design promotional materials for Resident Services programs and events
Resident Services/Financial Coaching:
- Engage with residents and help implement regular community-building events and activities
- Recruit residents to participate in programs, events and meetings
- Utilize Salesforce to maintain up-to-date records related to relevant program documentation, such as attendance sheets, program waivers
- Compile and submit a monthly newsletter both in print and via email to include resources, useful articles and relevant financial topics
- Manage data both demographic and programmatic in Salesforce
- Work with the Volunteer Coaching program to provide increased support and resources for residents
- Provide case management support for residents including financial coaching
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- At least one year of experience providing resident services or with case management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work with low and moderate-income individuals and families and racially and culturally diverse communities.
- Proficiency in Spanish and English both written and oral
- Social media and marketing skills
- Residents of Allston/Brighton are preferred
All Allston Brighton CDC staff share administrative responsibility for the organization, assume new and emerging responsibilities as the organization evolves, and engage in learning opportunities to share new information and knowledge that can help inform the future of the organization.
Salary and Benefits: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, life/short-term disability/long-term disability insurance, three weeks’ vacation, holidays, sick leave, flexible spending account, and 401(k) plan.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to John Woods, Executive Director at email@example.com.