The Homebuying Mentors® Manager
Allston Brighton Community Development Corporation (Allston Brighton CDC) seeks a Manager for The Homebuying Mentors®, our homebuyer education and counseling program. The Homebuying Mentors® is an independent resource for Massachusetts residents to plan responsibly for their future through homeownership education and coaching.
Since 1980, Allston Brighton CDC has led initiatives that create affordable homes, foster community leadership, enhance and protect open spaces, and offer steps to increased incomes and assets. Today, the organization addresses critical changes in our community, focuses and defines its role as a catalyst for community stability, and positions it for the sustained creation of opportunities for families and individuals of all income levels to engage as leaders and improve their lives. We build a stronger and more stable community by representing and supporting the expressed interests, positive engagement and leadership of Allston Brighton’s diverse local communities, institutions, individuals, and families of all incomes.
The Homebuying Mentors ® has served Massachusetts residents, both in person and online, for more than 20 years. We utilize web and social media tools to increase our reach to more first-time homebuyers and to provide an ease of access to high quality information and resources, so that first-time homebuyers may make sound decisions with the purchase of their home. The program is focused on supporting those who are interested in purchasing homes throughout Eastern Massachusetts.
This position is full-time and reports directly to the Director of Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Coordinate, facilitate and teach both in-person Homebuying 101 classes and online homebuying course The Road Home
- Secure and manage class sponsorships, volunteers and program participants
- Update all program materials both print and online
- Collaborate with community partners, including representing Allston Brighton CDC at Homeownership forums including CHAPA, City of Boston forums and others as appropriate.
Homebuyer Counseling and Financial Coaching
- Work with class graduates to discern need for short-term counseling versus long-term coaching needs
- Ensure up to date financial coaching processes in accordance with grant guidelines
- Manage volunteer homebuying/financial coaches
- Collaborate with Resident Services staff in seamless execution of financial coaching program.
Data Management and Reporting
- Collect and track required program data via all required data management systems, including Salesforce, HomeCounselor Online, and ETO
- Work with Director of Operations and Salesforce consultant on CMS system updates
- Perform ongoing program reporting, including HUD, grant, United Way, others at necessary
- Follow-up and track homebuying class graduates for progress including counseling, coaching and home purchases
- Track and prepare reports on new homeowners, including an Annual Outcomes report.
Outreach and Marketing
- Manage program marketing and outreach
- Lead annual production of the Homeownership Resource Guide
- Oversee design of all program marketing materials
- Develop and oversee use of social media for program promotion.
- Manage volunteer real estate professionals who present at classes, and support the program through the giving of knowledge, expertise and financial support
- Manage and supervise volunteers who support both homebuying counseling and financial coaching efforts
- Coordinate efforts with other staff responsible for financial coaching in the Resident Services program.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a highly organized and detail oriented person who is excited about the opportunity to work in a community-based nonprofit and help people become homeowners. They will have many of the following skills and experiences:
- At least two years of work experience, preferably in community development or a related field, and a B.A.
- Ability to build and lead a team, cross-collaborate with departments on programming, and motivate others
- Skill managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Strong facilitation and public speaking skills
- Ability to set, follow-through, and measure progress against goals
- Competency with fundraising, including one-on-one relationship building and grant writing
- Successful experience in working with people of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; adept with social media platforms
- Facility in multiple languages, such as Cantonese, Mandarin, and Spanish
- Experience with adult education techniques
- Understanding of the residential real estate and mortgage industry
- Experience with public relations and marketing
- Some experience with Salesforce, WordPress, Google Analytics.
All Allston Brighton CDC staff share administrative responsibility for the organization, assume new and emerging responsibilities as the organization evolves, and engage in learning opportunities to share new information and knowledge that can help inform the future of the organization.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter describing your interest and skills to Michelle Meiser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Allston Brighton CDC is an equal opportunity employer.
People of color and residents of Allston Brighton are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
All Bright Community Canvasser
All Bright Community Canvassers will report directly to and support the Outreach Coordinator in getting the word out about our All Bright Homeownership program, an initiative designed to combat investor ownership in the Lower Allston neighborhood by buying homes and selling them to individuals and families who agree to live there via deed restriction. Outreach will include canvassing the area, prioritizing knocking on renters’ doors to gain potential buyers for the program. For renters who may not be ready to buy, Canvassers will be prepared with materials to hand out about our Homebuying 101 classes, affordable housing advocacy, and more to engage neighbors in Allston Brighton CDC’s work.
All Canvassers will be compensated $15 per hour with a minimum of four hours a week expected to work each week. The team will be provided with comprehensive canvassing training before going out into the field. This is a temporary position from October 2nd through November 22nd with the possibility of continuing in the 2018 spring and summer sessions as well.
- Canvass the Lower Allston neighborhood alongside team members each week
- Educate residents on Allston Brighton CDC’s programming, specifically All Bright Homeownership but may also include The Homebuying Mentors® and community engagement opportunities
- Gather resident contact information should they be interested in receiving more information regarding Allston Brighton CDC program.
- Identify households that need program information in languages other than English
- Enter door knocking deliverables into team Google Sheet after each canvassing shift
- Serve as face of All Bright Homeownership program and represent Allston Brighton CDC well in the community
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Comfortable working outside and being on their feet for hours at a time
- A strong work ethic and accountability
- Availability to work every week October 2nd through November 22nd
- Residents of Allston/Brighton are preferred
- Previous canvassing experience is a plus but not necessary
- Bilingual proficiency in Spanish, Chinese, or Russian
To apply: Please submit your resume and a short cover letter to Jenna Connolly, Outreach Coordinator at email@example.com.