March 2018 Newsletter
March 2018 Newsletter
2018 is already off to a flying start here at Allston Brighton CDC! Our staff has been busy planning the year ahead as we continue to provide services to tenants, create affordable rental housing and homeownership opportunities, empower new leaders, and work a broad network of community partners. Read more in this newsletter about our Winter Carnival, get to know Allston Brighton community member Omaira Marin, and mark your calendars for upcoming events.
Winter Carnival 2018
In January, our Resident Services Team kicked off 2018 with a Winter Carnival at the All Bright Community Center with games like Pin the Carrot on the Snowman, Guessing Jars, Winter BINGO, and a Snowman Beanbag toss. Two graduates of ourLeadership Development Academy and our community partners from Family Nurturing Center and Maloney Properties made the event a fun and interactive one for residents of all ages. Parents and their kids forged new connections and friendships as they socialized and played together. The All Bright Community Center was full of people and positive energy. By the end of the evening, several residents had signed up for one-on-one financial coaching sessions and other regular programs like our weekly yoga session.
Resident Spotlight: Omaira Marin
Omaira Marin has lived in her Glenville Avenue apartment for more than 20 years. Since the opening of the All Bright Community Center, we are happy to see her at every Coffee Hour, special event, and other programs. She’s present and engaged and successfully recruits more residents to join in. On Fridays, her love for fitness and wellness draws her to our weekly yoga sessions. She was also Allston Brighton CDC’s first contributor to our highly-anticipated resident cookbook, which will highlight the diverse recipes and cultures represented in our community.
One of the qualities everyone admires about Omaira is the abundant kindness and love she holds for her neighbors. Having a vehicle is a luxury that Omaira does not take for granted. It allows her freedom to come and go as she pleases, and she is always willing to help a neighbor with a ride to an appointment or errand. She spends lots of time caring for the elders in her building by calling to check in, bringing them food, and supporting them through hard times. Omaira’s kindness is immeasurable and Allston Brighton CDC is grateful and fortunate to have such a compassionate and engaged member of our community.
- Our volunteer committees meet monthly at the Allston Brighton CDC office. If you’re interested in attending a meeting or want more information, contactJason Desrosier, our Manager of Community Building and Engagement, at 617-787-3874 x206
- Neighborhood Stabilization Action Committee (homeownership, Airbnb, problem properties) monthly meeting: Monday, March 19th at 6:00pm
- Community Planning Action Committee (housing development and planning in the neighborhood) monthly meeting: Monday, March 26th at 6:00pm
- Affordable Housing Action Committee monthly meeting: Wednesday, March 28th at 6:00pm
- Congressional Representative Capuano’s Office Hours: District residents can meet a member of Representative Michael Capuano’s staff at Allston Brighton CDC’s office on the third Friday of every month. The next office hour will be held on Friday, March 16th from 11 AM to 12 PM