Join the Allston Brighton CDC’s Community Action Team as an Age Friendly Ambassador!
Working in close collaboration with the Community Engagement Manager, Age Friendly Ambassadors will assist in the development of program design and lead volunteers in ABCDC’s community engagement efforts. Our department is targeting specific areas of Allston Brighton that are seeing a lot of new residential development. Our Age Friendly program focuses on engaging senior residents to identify their vision for their neighborhood – advocating for shared priorities such as affordable housing, green space, and accessibility for persons with disability. Through virtual and in-person canvassing and meetings, Age Friendly Ambassadors will expand ABCDC’s base of leaders within the elderly community through active relationship building and leadership development. Results from this effort will guide our advocacy for zoning, urban development, and community benefits. Age Friendly Ambassadors will have the opportunity to:
- Invite senior residents into important public discussions surrounding local development in Allston Brighton
- Testify at City Council or State House hearings on issues impacting housing affordability and increase opportunities for first-time homebuyers
- Represent Allston-Brighton in the Coalition for a Truly Affordable Boston and other coalitions and policy-related work groups to advocate for more homes we can afford
- Serve on Impact Advisory Groups (IAGs), which advise housing and commercial developers in the neighborhood. Our role in these groups is to ensure that each project includes a higher percentage of affordable housing units available for a wider variety of household incomes and other community benefits such as increased green space and more reliable transportation.
- Lead door knocking /canvassing efforts to engage neighbors in the planning and development process
- Co-lead volunteer training sessions
- Other activities and tasks identified as priorities by the Community Ambassadors
Our Ideal Candidates
- Is a current resident of Allston-Brighton with connections to the community
- Can comfortably manage multiple tasks and projects independently
- Computer literate in social media and Microsoft Office suite
- Are comfortable going door-to-door (if/when safe to do so)
- Have a desire to practice listening skills
- Are comfortable having one-on-one conversations
- Have proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, or Chinese
- Are available during early evening and weekends
- $20.00/hour (includes training)
- Up to 20 hours per month
- Learn how the urban planning and development process works and be a leader for your community
To submit an application, please email Jason Boyle at [email protected] or call 857-242-1123.
Allston Brighton CDC seeks a diverse pool of candidates. ABCDC is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race/ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age. People of color and Allston Brighton residents are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.