Homebuying 101 Class
Each month, we offer an in-person class for first-time homebuyers in Massachusetts. During the class, we take you through the entire home buying process from beginning to end. You will receive expert advice on everything you need to know from trusted real estate professionals as we take you through each step of the process.
By taking Homebuying 101, you’ll have access to first-time homebuyer loans with low interest rates and low down payment requirements. The certificate you receive from completing the course is also required for down payment or closing cost assistance programs that may be offered in the city or town in which you are buying.
This class is for anyone who is interested in buying their first home, whether you are already in the midst of the process or just starting to think about homeownership.
The class fee is $50 per person. Included in the fee:
- Access to a full class and all the informational materials
- Unlimited access to counseling from our mentors
- Access to free supplemental pre- and post-purchase classes
- Contact us for our Fee Reduction form for a 50% discount available to low-income participants
We help you to:
- Assess your readiness to buy a home.
- Learn how to qualify for a mortgage and about loan products for first-time homebuyers.
- Understand the responsibilities of credit.
- Meet high quality lenders, attorneys, real estate agents, home inspectors, home insurance representatives, and specialists in lead paint, asbestos, and mold removal, and energy efficiency.
- Understand the legal aspects of buying a home including The Offer and the Purchase and Sale Agreement.
- Find out about financial assistance available including first-time homebuyer mortgage products, down payment and closing cost support and mortgage buy-down programs.
Our 2019 Classes
“I felt like the speakers were a particular highlight of the class, as everyone seemed approachable and definitely expert in their field. I actually met with Katherine, the realtor who came, to get a better sense of the market in Worcester, and it was great talking with her. I definitely felt more connected to a wider network of folks who can assist in different ways now. Also, especially as I get paperwork ready for the bank, I’ve actually gone back to the binder several times to look through the checklists and mortgage info, so that was a great resource to come away with too!”
-Maia, Homebuying 101 Graduate 2018