Homebuying 101 Class
Each month, we offer a class for first-time homebuyers in Massachusetts. During the class, we take you through the entire home buying process from beginning to end. You will receive expert advice on everything you need to know from trusted real estate professionals as we take you through each step of the process.
By taking Homebuying 101, you’ll have access to first-time homebuyer loans with low interest rates and low down payment requirements. The certificate you receive from completing the course is also required for down payment or closing cost assistance programs that may be offered in the city or town in which you are buying.
This class is for anyone who is interested in buying their first home, whether you are already in the midst of the process or just starting to think about homeownership.
Classes designated as Boston Home Center classes are classes for City of Boston residents, although anyone can register for those classes. These classes will include presentations and information on Boston-specific homebuying programs in addition to the standard content that is presented in all Homebuying 101 classes. Cost for Boston Home Center classes are $30 for City of Boston residents and $45 for non-City of Boston residents.
The class fee is $50/person. Included in the fee:
- Access to a full class and all the informational materials
- Unlimited access to counseling from our mentors
- Access to free supplemental pre- and post-purchase classes
We help you to:
- Assess your readiness to buy a home.
- Learn how to qualify for a mortgage and about loan products for first-time homebuyers.
- Understand the responsibilities of credit.
- Meet high quality lenders, attorneys, real estate agents, home inspectors, home insurance representatives, and specialists in lead paint, asbestos, and mold removal, and energy efficiency.
- Understand the legal aspects of buying a home including The Offer and the Purchase and Sale Agreement.
- Find out about financial assistance available including first-time homebuyer mortgage products, down payment and closing cost support and mortgage buy-down programs.
Hear From Our Homebuying 101 Graduates!
Thank you to the Homeownership & Counseling team for the many counseling sessions we had, your knowledge and diligence in helping me understand the full extent of what I’m eligible for, and your help in mapping out my journey to homeownership. I actually can’t believe how much support I’ve received, and ABCDC was instrumental in that!Valerie
We worked with a lot of terrific folks along the way to buying our first home. The class we took with you really made us feel prepared to tackle this huge project, and we are so grateful for all your help. I’m not sure we would have our own house right now if not for your help and guidance!Karen
The class was clear and well organized with enough time for questions, which is hard to do because people come with different perspectives and experiences and want to do different things. The class helped me get serious about the process.Luis
Homebuying 101 provided a wealth of information from budgeting, to debt reduction, to credit worthiness, to understanding all the players and steps needed in a real estate search. The teacher of our class was encouraging, informed and seemed truly invested in our understanding of the content. After the class, I had a binder bursting with notes and vital resources, and the knowledge was empowering.Kathleen